Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Hoping for a homemade Christmas

Is it really the end of February already!?!  Seriously, where has the year gone!

2012 seems to be just flying by and before you know it December and the whip of winter winds will once again be knocking on our doors.  I don't know about you, but Christmas always seems to just sneak up on me.  I'm just happily enjoying the crisp, cool fall weather and then BAM! the holiday season is upon us and I'm scrambling to get everything done.

Hopefully this year, that won't be the case.  In an effort to fully prepare for the Christmas season ahead of time and avoid the gigantic debt hangover I felt earlier this year, I've started working on a few projects that will allow me to give some great gifts without ridiculous price tags.

My current project
I started this quilt for one of my 2 nieces back in January and I'm hoping to have it finished with in the next month or so.  Her sister will be receiving one as well in purple and green as those are her favorite colors.

In total I've spent approximately $10 for the fabric and the batting I had just lying around.

Starting early is definitely giving me an edge this year.  My nieces will have Christmas gifts that are much more thoughtful than some last minute $30 toy that they will most likely break within a month and I've saved my bank account from hyperventilating.

So if you're looking to get a head start on your Christmas preparations as well as lighten the load on your checking account come December, you might think about making a few homemade gifts this year.  I'm sure the recipients will love it!

7 comments:

  1. The year is going by very fast! And I plan on doing early Christmas shopping also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is! I've never been this far ahead in my preparations for Christmas but I'm hoping that by doing so I will be a little more relaxed when the time comes. Hopefully I can actually slow down and enjoy this Christmas!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful quilt! A gift like this is cherished for many years! I'm starting with my Christmas savings in March & hope to score some good deals throughout the year! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carla! I'm so glad I got started so early as it is taking a lot longer than I anticipated but I'll just keep sewing away and eventually I will get there.

      Delete
  3. So glad I found your blog!! I too am starting on home made Christmas gifts in March, once summer rolls around I am super busy in the garden and vacations, your right about fall, it is gone before you can blink an eye. You and I can keep each other honest in the month of March on our Christmas sewing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good to me! This year seems to be just flying by and I'm glad I started as early as I did. I love seeing others' ideas for homemade gifts! Maybe we'll give each other a few new ideas.

      Delete
  4. What a cute quilt and great gift idea! December will be here again before we know it. Learning to make a quilt is on my to-do list...one of these days.

    ReplyDelete